The 2012-2013 season gets underway for Hampton basketball on November 9 in Williamsburg against William & Mary. Expectations are for the Pirates to live up to last season's performance. They will be replacing 65% of last season's minutes with the expected contributions of seven incoming freshmen.
Hampton will see the largest deficiency on offense, where the team lost 78.4% of their assists. That's followed closely by steals, where they drop another massive 76.1% from last season.
Hampton played to a final overall record of 10-20 last season and placed 8th in the MEAC regular season with a conference record of 6-10. In the postseason, the Pirates were booted from the MEAC tournament by Bethune-Cookman, 81-72. Hampton lost many of last year's seniors including Darrion Pellum (38 minutes per game), Christopher Tolson (30 MPG), Mike Tuitt (30 MPG), and Danny Agbelese (22 MPG). The Pirates must also do without Koron Reed (8 MPG) and Bakari Taylor (5 MPG), who left the team.
Returning for the Pirates are junior David Bruce (9.2 points/game), senior Wesley Dunning (4.3 points/game), senior Jasper Williams (5.6 points/game), senior Aaron Austin (1.2 assists/game), and sophomore Emmanuel Okoroba (2.0 points/game).
The Pirates recruited freshmen including 5-11 Deron Powers, 6-3 Ke`Ron Brown, 6-5 Miles Jackson, 6-7 Dwight Meikle, 6-3 Reggie Price, and 6-7 Dionte Adams. Also joining the team are 6-7 junior Du`Vaughn Maxwell (transferred from High Point) and 6-4 junior Ramon Mercado. Hampton will begin their MEAC campaign on December 1st against Howard.
Tags: Darrion Pellum
- Since 2002, Hampton has an overall winning percentage of 52.3%. The Pirates have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 52.5%.
- The Pirates have an average conference finish of 4.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.8.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 227.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Ohio (#44).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is South Carolina State (#343).
- The last time Hampton returned less than 30% of the team's statistical production was 2006-2007.
, Christopher Tolson
, Mike Tuitt
, Danny Agbelese
, Orin O`Bryant
, Koron Reed
, Bakari Taylor
, David Bruce
, Wesley Dunning
, Jasper Williams
, Aaron Austin
, Emmanuel Okoroba
, Deron Powers
, Ke`Ron Brown
, Miles Jackson
, Dwight Meikle
, Reggie Price
, Dionte Adams
, Oumar Sall
, Du`Vaughn Maxwell
, Ramon Mercado